Autumn Forbidden Rice Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
©Recipe by Lisa Markley, MS, RDN
This salad would make a great addition to any holiday table. It’s a beautiful combination of complex carbs, essential fatty acids, and protein as well as the thyroid- and immune-supportive micronutrients magnesium, B vitamins, and Vitamin C.
[For other holiday recipes, go here for our Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup.]
2 cups water
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup forbidden rice
2 cups diced butternut squash
1 cup arugula
½ cup toasted hazelnuts*
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup chopped parsley
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
½ cup raw apple cider vinegar
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup raw honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the 2 cups of water, salt, and rice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and simmer for 35-40 minutes until all liquid has been absorbed. TIP: Do not stir rice while it cooks or it will cook unevenly. To see if it’s done, tilt pan to the side to see if water is pooling at the bottom; continue to cook longer until all water has been absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork, then spread evenly on a sheet pan and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, dice butternut squash, toss in olive oil, and spread out evenly on a sheet pan. Place in the oven, and roast for 30-40 minutes.
- Make Apple Cider Vinaigrette by placing ingredients in a small bowl in the order listed and whisk olive oil in slowly until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When rice has cooled to the touch, transfer to a large bowl and combine with butternut squash, arugula, hazelnuts, dried cranberries, and parsley. Add dressing to taste and toss gently to combine. Any extra dressing can be stored in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to a month.
*To toast hazelnuts:
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Spread nuts out evenly on a baking sheet and place sheet on middle rack in the oven. Toast nuts for 10-12 minutes. Be sure to set a timer to check the nuts and avoid burning.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Once cool, transfer to a tightly sealed container and store in the fridge until ready to use.